Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Forgive, but never forget rudeness

Just like kindness touches our hearts, rudeness also affects us, though we would like to be immune. For some people rudeness is second nature, for some it is just exploiting another person’s helplessness or taking advantage of their position.

All of us would have come across rude bus conductors, auto rickshaw drivers and policemen in our day-to-day lives. We may also end up with rude neighbours. I thank my stars for my wonderful neighbours. They are such great friends. I wonder what makes people behave rudely. Sure, they can attribute it to extreme stress. But that does not excuse irrational behaviour.

Sometimes I feel tempted to return in the same coin. But then I stop myself thinking I shouldn't stoop so low. I am sure all of us would have at some point of time wondered why some people can’t be civil. What I have learned is that such people can never change themselves. And surely we do not want to experience that again. So the best thing would be to leave them alone. But if they happen to be your relatives or colleagues, it is hard to avoid them.

A rude act can continue to burn you. It simply churns out hatred. I still remember how some people were rude to me in my childhood. It’s so hard for me to forget or forgive. I believe we should forgive them, but never, never forget the experience. You don’t want to be stabbed in the same place again.

A polite word or smile does spread cheer. It’s pure happiness. You simply cannot measure it. The fragrance lingers in your soul. I guess there is a brighter side to rudeness. It makes us cherish the happiness and warmth of politeness and makes us think twice before being rude to others. Remember, you can never take back an unkind word.

1 comment:

priya said...

Very true. But an eye for an eye sometimes gives you instant satisfaction.