Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Children ask about terrorism


Ever wondered what children would ask about terrorism?
I was surprised at what kids actually wanted to know.
There is no downplaying terrorism. My 12-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter know more about terrorist attacks than any adult in the family. Blame it on media overdose. However, they didn’t seem to be agitated. Or so I thought so until my son asked, "Which profession is not dangerous?" I thought I should be tactful here.

I said, "Look, both your uncle and aunt are army officers. Isn't that a good profession?". Of course they didn't buy it. They asked, “Who are those people who attacked Mumbai?” and exclaimed, “Oh, they are so young!”
I said, “They are terrorists. They attack innocent people.”

Son said, "It's sooo sad.. that two-year-old boy...he lost his parents...sooo sad."
“Why do they do that?”
I try to explain. “Many of them are people, who are deprived in many ways. It is easy for bad people to influence them into doing bad things.”
“What do they do then?”
I said, “They spread terror through such attacks.”
They asked, “And then?”
I don’t have an answer.
Do we?

No comments: