Friday, January 9, 2009

Economic recession, a story

Scene: An IT company in Bangalore
July 2008

News: The company’s quarterly results are out and the projected revenue for the next quarter is quite a dream.
An employee calls the admin department, “I need two pencils. Could you please send it to my table?” “It will be there in 10 minutes”, replies the lady in the admin department. The items reach her table in less than 10 minutes.
Sept 2008
News: Fall of Lehman Brothers!
The employee calls the admin department, “I need two pencils. Could you please send it to my table?” She gets the reply, “Please come and meet me”. She goes to the department. The admin personnel says, “Please fill in a requisition form, sign and then take a pencil”. “But I need two, says the employee”. “Sorry, we can give you only one. We are trying to cut costs you know”.
November 2008
News: Global recession hits India
The employee goes to the admin department, fills the form for a pencil. The admin personnel says, “This pencil is for the whole team”. “wha…t?” “I hope you have read the internal circular about reducing overheads”. “Yeah”. “Anyways, I can’t understand what you want to write”
December 2008
News: Recession expected to worsen
The employee goes to the admin department, fills the form for a pencil. “The team needs a pencil”, said she. “Sorry, you will have to bring your own pencils. You don’t have any project. What do you want to write anyway?”
January 2009
News: An IT company chairman quits over inflated revenue; company in tatters.
The employee goes to the admin department and pulls out a box of pencils hands it over to the admin personnel and says, “Here, in case you need it, I just read an internal circular asking employees to contribute to help save the company”.